When it comes to designing and building a playground for young children, safety is often the top concern. Every feature that is included in the playground needs to be not only inviting and engaging for young children, but also safe and secure. Even the safety of the playground surface needs to be considered, as children are bound to tumble every once in a while, and they will end up landing on the surface.
Today, many playground designers are turning to synthetic grass for their safety surfacing, as it not only creates a serene landscape for the playground, but it also provides a soft cushion for landing in the event of trips and spills. Playground turf is the leading surfacing option because it is:
1. Long Lasting
Nowhere is going to experience more wear and tear than a playground, which is why it's important to select a durable and long-lasting safety surfacing. When properly maintained, synthetic grass will last for about 8 years. Not all surfacing materials are designed to last quite as long as playground turf, which is one of the main reasons why playground designers are choosing to install it in their playgrounds. A long-lasting surfacing material means that the playground is open and available for as long as possible, allowing people in the community to enjoy it for years without disruption.
2. Weather Resistant
Outdoor playgrounds are exposed to all of the elements — regardless of the season. In the cold winter months when there are few children climbing on the equipment, the playground is often covered in a blanket of snow and sometimes ice. During the spring, it must withstand the endless rains, and by the time summer arrives, it has to be prepared to bask in the sun for weeks and months on end.
Some lower-quality playground materials will begin to deteriorate due to the excessive exposure to the elements. Playground turf, however, is a weather-resistant safety surfacing material that will always look great. On the surface, the synthetic grass appears to be a lush, green lawn. In reality, however, it's a drought-resistant and UV-resistant surface, meaning that it doesn't have to be watered, and it won't fade in the sunlight.
By choosing a weather-resistant safety surfacing material, your playground will not only look great — it will always be ready to welcome children. Water will not pool on synthetic grass the way it does real grass, and it will always provide a soft place for those youngsters to land in the event that they might fall.
3. Low Maintenance
For those who are searching for a safety surfacing material that offers the natural look of grass without the ongoing maintenance, then playground turf is easily the best option. Playground turf is a low-maintenance safety surfacing solution, making it an ideal option for any type of playground, no matter where it is located or who will be required to maintain it. Unlike natural grass, you will never have to mow or trim this surfacing material, and it never has to be fertilized.
However, it is important to make an effort to protect and preserve your playground turf in order to extend its lifespan and enjoy the safety surfacing for as long as possible. Some recommended maintenance measures for playground turf include:
- Spray the turf every once in a while in order to clean it. For the most part, you can rely on sporadic rainfall in order to eliminate dust and pollen from the playground turf, but if it's been dry lately, you may want to consider rinsing it down.
- Rake the playground turf on a regular basis and eliminate any debris that you see. Raking the turf will keep it clean, looking great and as soft as possible for the children who are running and playing on it.
4. Stays Green All Year
As the old saying goes, the grass is always greener on the other side — but when you invest in playground turf, the grass will quite literally always be greener at your playground. Synthetic grass offers the natural and peaceful look of true grass, yet it will always stay that bright green color — no matter how much sunlight or how little water it gets. This makes it a particularly advantageous option, especially if your playground is located in a dry and arid climate where there is not as much rainfall. No matter what the weather is like during any particular season, the safety surfacing at your playground will always look and feel like freshly grown grass.
5. Environmentally Friendly
Many are finding that playground turf is not only a safe, functional and beautiful option for playgrounds — but it's also a sustainable choice. Natural grass has to be maintained, and this often requires routine fertilization and at times, applications of pesticides. Synthetic grass, however, never needs to be treated. When you don't have to treat the turf with fertilizer and pesticides, you do not add extra chemicals into the surface or groundwater in your area. In addition, you are protecting the young children with sensitive skin who are going to be playing, tripping, rolling, falling and laughing on your playground turf.
This is also considered a more eco-friendly surfacing option because it does not need to be watered. In many places, it can be difficult to get fresh water, and watering the grass is discouraged. With playground turf, you never have to run the sprinklers in order to keep the surface looking green and lively. It is a weather-resistant option that will maintain its look, no matter what, allowing you to reduce your water consumption while still giving the young children in your community a fun and inviting place to play.
Where to Buy Playground Turf
Playground turf is quickly becoming the top safety surfacing option among playground designers, but it's important to know where and how to purchase playground turf for your playground. At Robertson Recreational Surfaces, we specialize in safety surfacing, including playground turf, and we can provide you with everything you need for your playground project.
Here are a few facts that you need to know about our playground turf:
- Our playground turf meets all of the safety requirements for cushioning falls. In addition, you are able to customize your purchase by choosing between three different variations for pile and weight, giving you the ability to create the surface that is right for your community.
- You can purchase your playground turf in a variety of heights and colors, allowing you to create a visually-appealing space that is inviting to people of all ages. This also provides you with a chance to customize the look of your playground and design an area that is unique to your community.
- Our playground turf is an accessible safety surfacing option. Children of all ages, abilities and skill levels will be able to maneuver through the grass and enjoy the playground together. In an era where accessibility is a top consideration, it's important to choose a safety surfacing material that will accommodate every child who wants to enjoy your playground.
- The playground turf that we provide is uniquely designed in order to last for an extended period of time. In addition to offering optional padding as well as applications that help prevent the spread of bacteria in the grass, our playground turf has a specialized back-lining that protects the turf from wear-and-tear over time. You can create a playground turf for your playground that is designed to withstand all types of play for many years to come.
At Robertson Recreational Surfaces, we can install synthetic grass to meet any need. Whether with attenuation for playgrounds or in common areas for recreation, let us help you choose the right surface. Get in touch with us today to get a quote.